Friday, January 7

Genesis 11: The Tower of Babel & Deism


A little background about me:

Born 1984= 26 years young!
Student at East Carolina Fall 2002-December 2006
Raise support (aka raise salary) for internship in campus ministry Jan -March 2007 (In three months God provided $15,000!!! This was so much confirmation that I was to go into campus ministry! Looking back I think about how much I have grown since then! I was so scared to raise support but God was faithful!)
Internship in campus ministry March -December 2007
Live at home in Greensboro for one month Jan 2008
School of Every Nation School of Campus Ministry Feb-April 2008
Raise support for full time Campus Ministry at East Carolina April 2008- August 2009 (16 months! God was faithful and I really am so glad for all of this time to grow and mature.)
August 2009- Now working full time Campus Ministry at East Carolina!

All of that to say, when I was at the EN school of campus ministry, we read a book called The Universe Next Door by James Sire. It was so over my head and Elissa, my roommate at the school and I would read it and then meet with our other friend Joseph for him to tell us what we just read! (PS, I loved the school and all of the other books we read were wonderful and insightful, this one was just too intellectual for me!) :)

Anyway, the book talks about different worldviews. (Prepare yourself, I may butcher this, but I think you will get my point.) One of the worldviews we read about was Deism. The book describe this worldview like a pocket watch, that God created the world and then left us on our own, never to come down, or even care about us. Obviously this is not the way I view God, or the way God is!

Reading Gen 11 about the Tower of Babel made me think about this. The people were being prideful and God came down and confused their languages. God gives a spanking for the people's own good.


Timelines of genealogies:


No comments: