Wednesday, November 11

Rainy Day


So today has been really rainy and drab! I am working from home b/c I don't want to get out of the house! I have an appointment at 3:30 at Starbucks so eventually yes, I will have to venture outside.

So far today I have cleaned some and most importantly been working on the Purple Book. I did the purple book in college and this year am doing it over again. I go over it with students and they talk about what it means to them. The funny thing is I'm really learning a lot too! I think it's great even as leaders to be reminded of the foundations of our faith.

Something I am thinking a lot about today is what it means to "pick up our cross." Often times because I work in ministry, I think I already picked up my cross, when I said yes to answer the call to go into ministry. Oh how I try to pull that card with God. It doesn't work! I still have to pick up my cross daily all the time, well daily actually :).

Also, all the time in the New Testament, we hear a lot about suffering for the Gospel. Our American culture is not into suffering. I often wonder what that means to my life. Do you have any ideas?

God please show me what this means for my life and how I can bring you glory!

1 comment:

Caroline Collie said...

Wow, girl! Thinking about suffering is some good, deep thinking! I think we try to avoid it at all costs, instead of ... maybe... embracing it because God can do so much in us and through us when we experience sufferings. I think that one topic could fill a library or two! Here are a few thoughts from my back pocket:

The bread and fish had to be broken to feed a multitude.

Paul encourages us to know the fellowship of Christ's sufferings.

Job's friends were at their best when they were silent, but present with Job during his sufferings.

Stanley Hauerwaus and Dietrich Bonhoeffer have both written some good stuff on suffering you might like looking into. ... The list goes on but I think that's enough for now! :)