Monday, February 7

Southern Sayings



Last night a few girls came over for a "anti superbowl" party. We did watch the halftime show then watched The Blindside. The girls brought up that they had never seen Steel Magnolias. This is one of my favorites! I have grown up loving this movie! So today for my day off, I watched it.

This movie reminded me of all of the phrases my grandparents used to say. I miss Memaw & Da a lot. They lived ten minutes away from our house out in the country so we saw them a lot. They would often take Carrie and I out to dinner to the K& W, the J & S, Stamey's BBQ, Short Sugars in Reidsville, and Libby Hill. I miss so many things about them. But watching these type of movies reminds me of the things they used to say and do!

Here are some of the phrases I remember:
-Let me give you a little piece of money (any amount of money was a little piece of money)
-He's got of a lot of gall
-John Brown it
-Big lady= for a lady showing off
-Don't know him from Adam
-Cry me a river of tears = Da used to say this if we were crying too much about something.
-Eyes are bigger than my stomach
-To be ugly= to be mean
-Off galavanting around
-Get all gussied up
-She's got some nerve
-Tuckered out
-I swannee (my favorite old lady saying!)
-Light in the Loafers= a gay man
-Don't go bizzerk
-I declare
-Ale Law- this means oh my goodness...
-You don't have to tell everything you know= Da would always tell me this b/c I talk a lot! Nothing has changed!
-Youngin
-Give me some sugar (miss Memaw saying this!)
-I could jerk a knot in ..... = to hit someone

(Fifth grad picture. I remember thinking this shirt looked so grown up!)
Thinking about these sayings, reminded me of my 5th grade teach Mrs. Smith. She is from Tennessee and here are a couple of the phrases she would say:

-Up the creek without a paddle = out of luck
-Who the sam hill is that??

I love southern sayings! :)

______________________________________________
I thought of one I wanted to add:
-My sister and I went on many car rides with Memaw & Da. When we would drive by a really pretty big house out in the country, especially a white wooden house, Memaw would say "Many a fine meals been cooked there." Miss those car rides...

No comments: